Monday, October 29, 2007

Fun in D.C.


Sorry about the light posting this week, I was in Washington D.C. enjoying the sights and trying to rest my fingers from typing. D.C. was fun, I went to Georgetown where it was packed with people shopping like mad--I found an unoccuppied stoop outside and plopped myself down until the teens I was with finished shopping at Sephora which is a very popular make-up store. It was funny to watch the guys walking with women by the store --the women's eyes would widen as they passed and they would squeal with glee, "It's Sephora!" Either the guy would look a bit puzzled like, "Huh, what's that?" or the more savey among them would know, look at his watch and say, "you have ten minutes." It was interesting to watch. I often wish I could think of some product to sell that would bring as much joy to people as this make-up store does for women. I would soon be a millionaire.

Anyway, I stayed at a nice hotel near the Capital that had one of those new elevator systems called Miconic 10. They seem to be popping up everywhere and I must say, I don't care for them. The elevator sorts the cars for the maximum efficiency by having you press the number of the floor from the outside. Then when you get in, there are no controls so if you made a mistake, you have no way to correct it. Call me neurotic, but I hate the lack of controls inside the elevator. I am secretly scared of elevators but until now, have tried to keep this fear to myself. I use them and deal with the uneasy feeling but I must say that if you have an elevator phobia, this new system is not great. I was the Hearst building in NYC a few weeks ago and they had this system. I had to go to the 44th floor and must admit that by the time I got off, I was pretty uneasy. If you don't like elevators, this device is not the best--perhaps with time, there will be improvements or maybe the manufacturers don't consider that some of us are slightly phobic of elevators.

Anyway, finally, as I drove back from D.C., I spent a good portion of the trip beside a DARE cop car. The car was a Mustang GT that had been painted all over and had DARE advertisements all over it. The most amusing--or perhaps unnerving--advertisement on the car stated boldly, "This car was seized from a local drug dealer." Now call me crazy, but why advertise that you are stealing cars from drug dealers and then driving them around. This is hardly something to be proud of. The law apparently is quite liberal when seizing property from anyone they suspect is accused of dealing drugs but the person does not even have to be charged. And somehow, the idea that this property is given to the police is a real racket, setting up the incentive for all types of corruption. As I was driving, I sort of wished I had a car that said, "I seized this car from a local Sheriff accused of police brutality." Might have been funny, okay, probably not. I might have ended up with a ticket I didn't really want.

So, I had a nice weekend and am now back, after a number of adventures.

8 Comments:

Blogger SFN said...

Good message - drug dealers have nicer cars than anybody you know. Probably the one thing the kids remember about the event.

Oh, and your elevator phobia secret is safe with us!

(I think that idea sounds creepy, incidentally, and I'm elevator neutral.)

10:49 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger David Foster said...

Sephora...what is it that makes this so successful? The product? The stores? Both? Any generalizable factors?

11:56 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Don Surber said...

Sounds like fun.
What's a Sephora? All we have in Poca is the Dollar General.
Why do the cops have to ruin a Mustang GT like that?

12:19 PM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger DADvocate said...

You may not want to ride the elevator on the Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Atlanta. They go up 73 stories and are on the outside of the building. It's a great view.

The ease with which authorities can sieze property in the U.S. is outrageous. I'm continually amazed and disturbed that our legislators haven't done more to stop this. Maybe they will after they stomp out the trans fat threat.

3:43 PM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Elusive Wapiti said...

Re: Asset Forfeiture

I used to live in California's central coast. The real criminals have wised up and no longer grow weed or any other prohibited substance on their property.

Instead, and I find this more than a little ironic, they grow their drugs on Federal and State land such as national forest land or on big, empty military bases like Hunter-Liggett or Vandenberg. So while they may get busted if caught tending their crops, at least the Gummint can't take their stuff.

So what happens is the stupid criminals or the small-time guys get nailed by asset forfeiture. The smart ones or big-time ones just skirt around it.

4:32 AM, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a sticker that says "One Nation, Under Surveillance".
Maybe I should add, "For Profit".

8:48 PM, November 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

視訊做愛視訊美女無碼A片情色影劇kyo成人動漫tt1069同志交友網ut同志交友網微風成人論壇6k聊天室日本 avdvd 介紹免費觀賞UT視訊美女交友..........................

11:40 PM, May 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

日本a片av383 倉井空免費影片080aa片aa免費倉井空影片禁忌書屋成人小說網85cc成人片 西洋片視訊交友 百分百成人圖片微風論壇咆哮55123電玩快打小遊戲米克綜合論壇玩美女人影音秀美女交友av美女美女寫真免費a片卡通影音視訊聊天室080xxx383美女寫真玩美女人免費線上成人影片

3:24 AM, June 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home