Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thoughts on a Sunday Morning at Panera

It's amazing how honest most people are; I was in line this morning at Panera when a man handed the cashier a large Louis Vuitton purse and said, "There was a group of people who just took off and one of them left this purse." The cashier took it, shrugged and told the man, "I'm sure they will come back. I'll put it in a safe place." I then watched her tell her co-workers to be aware that a woman had left her purse and would probably be back to get it soon.

"Such quick organizational skills and honesty," I thought. I imagine the woman who left her purse will be relieved to find that a group of honest people made sure that her property was safe. I wonder what would have happened if this woman had found her purse? I think about how amazing it is that the default setting for most of us is honesty and doing what's right. It comforts me when I think about all of the terrible things that we human beings do to each other that seems so prevalent when clustered together on the evening news, but seem so much an aberration in the day-to-day world.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Derve Swanson said...

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you."

It's a Sunday, and I'm pretty sure that more people than not would turn in something they found that didn't belong to them any day of the week.

We let the media stories and fictionalized stories about the bad apples out there distort our perceptions. But generally speaking I'd say, most people choose to do the right thing. And turning in found property really isn't a heroic-type act, just everyday behavior for most folks, don't you think?

It's kinda sad when we find that type of behavior unusual for its honesty, even among strangers and retail clerks.

4:07 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Danny said...

I think that the media and the blogosphere tend to give an inordinate amount of publicity to the wrong-doers of this world.
generally speaking, I would still like to believe that the majority of people in our society are good, moral and ethical people. As opposed to the woman that Dr Helen refers to from a previous blogpost of hers.

Or maybe I am too naive.

4:41 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

When I was Director of a Social Services Department, I had a caseworker on my staff who returned from a trip to Las Vegas with a very fancy camera. She said someone left it at the table where she and her family were eating.

A few weeks later she left work early on a Friday to attend an afternoon meeting at an institution where a child was placed. I found out that she did not attend the meeting. The following Monday, she told me in great detail what had transpired at the meeting, pretending that she was there. I confronted her with the truth, and fired her.

I think you are right, that most people are wonderfully honest. However, when a person is not honest, and is in a position to affect people's lives, we cannot look the other way, and hope they will stop their devious ways.

8:25 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger lovemelikeareptile said...

Unless the guy was wealthy or worldly or keeps up with women's accessories , he may have had no idea what a Vuitton handbag costs.
Since so many are fakes-- and good ones at that-- its better to rent a nice hand bag for the evening- like maybe a 1951 CHANEL 2.55.

5:52 PM, February 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

視訊做愛視訊美女無碼A片情色影劇kyo成人動漫tt1069同志交友網ut同志交友網微風成人論壇6k聊天室日本 avdvd 介紹免費觀賞UT視訊美女交友..........................

5:51 AM, May 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home